[luau] MSWindows

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Fri Aug 2 16:22:33 PDT 2002

Eric Hattemer wrote:

> I've been busy lately, and never had the chance to reply to this message,
> but here we go:
>
> From: "Jimen Ching" <jching at flex.com>
>
> > On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Eric Hattemer wrote:
>
> I suppose I missed the logic in the first part of your message, so I'm
> cutting it.
>
> > >Only about 1:5 times when I try to compile something in linux does it
> > >come out correctly.
> >
> > Let me get this straight, you are comparing the installation of windows
> > programs to the compilation of linux programs?  And for some reason, you
> > feel they should have the same difficulty level?  Or the same easiness
> > level...
>
> Perhaps this is slightly unfair.  I've never compiled anything in windows
> that I didn't write myself.  However, this is because I didn't need to.
> That's just how I get a lot of programs in linux.  Only taking redhat rpms
> is like refusing to run any program not written by microsoft.  I have seen
> other organizations make redhat rpms for their programs, but often its for
> an older version of redhat.  Even if they are the right version, they often
> require odd dependencies, as mentioned in my last email on this subject.
>

> > >get things installed on.  Windows doesn't require that the user remember
> > >anything.  Do you really think most of the world moved away from the
> command
> > >line by pure chance?  No, it allows you to manipulate files and etc.
> without
> > >learning or remembering any commands.
> >
> > More evidence of brain washing?  You're telling me that you didn't have to
> > remember anything to use or install Windows applications?  So you were
> > born with the knowledge of the 20 to 40 odd menu options in MS-Word?  Or
> > the 5 to 10 dialogs for installing the new Inbox Express?  I guess
> > Microsoft must have found the technology to beam this information directly
> > to your mother's brain, and she passed it to you via the umbilical cord.
> > The Ctrl-C to copy and the Ctrl-V to paste is learned through osmosis,
> > right?
>
> As for installing, I put the CD in, it says, "would you like to install
> this," then I say yes, yes, next, next, finish.  If I forgot how to do this
> each time, it would be no trouble to figure it out again.  I didn't mention
> use of MS-Word.  However, if I had, I would have had a clear case.  Just by
> looking through the file menus for word, you can mostly tell what they do.
> Now there are some obscure ones, but I simply don't need to use those ones.
> However, if I ever found the need, the words in the file menus match up well
> with the intended functions.  So its quite possible to find out new
> functions intuitively.  Compare that to something like vi, which may be
> faster or more powerful, etc, but really takes a lot of work to learn.  Oh,
> and about the ctrl-C, ctrl-V, I suppose its not pertinent information that
> [...]

Eric,

Learn it all. Give you something to do, brah! Then we call you when we
need help. :)

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043