[luau] My schedule - how you can help

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Fri Aug 2 12:02:00 PDT 2002

On Thursday 01 August 2002 23:31, you wrote:

> 2. For those interested in testing / prepping equipment for the LTSP for
> schools project, you MUST SIGN IN AND OUT  with the manager on duty
> (Either Julie, Robert or Jay). Also, we must only use the front entrance
> (Main store entrance).

How we handle this is crucial.  My neck is stuck out as far as possible on
this issue.  I want to keep my head attached to it.  Our superior managerial
staff is graciously willing to accomodate us.  Al, the spouse of the store
manager, is being a tremendous and positive influence on his important wife.
As long as we come and go without adversely affecting image and sales, we
have a friend with Pricebusters.

We are a democratic group, so we should come up with and maintain some
standards.  Basic things like not coming by after happy hour (even if you
work better after a few :-) ), not wearing your oil-changing clothes, and
introducing yourself and stating why you have come by.  I have even thought
about having a little release sheet to handle any legal considerations.  I
don't know what they are, I just want to do everything right.

I think that for each of your first visits, you should be with someone
"certified" like myself or Dean or Al.  I think "certified" will mean that
you've been there, you know what stuff in the work room is for us to work
with (most of it), and what is to be left alone (some of it).  It means that
if there is some legal base to be covered, you have agreed to it.  I hope
someone like Wayne has some insight here.  I have a backup server for the
store, a switch, and a DSL modem in there.  We all have to know where they
are and the consequences of fiddling around with them.  Basic stuff.  I know
there is a natural way to do this.

> >None of the equipment at Pricebusters has been tested, so a complete
> >inventory would be needed.

As far as inventory, from memory I can say that we have about 38 monitors.
This is prior to Jeff's delivery if it comes here.  So far each has worked.
Some are apple, one is sun, some are strange, and most are PC
13 sparc 1,2,5, and 20's
Maybe 5 big Apple something or another with HUGE power supplies and tons of
ram
Several PC's, some have VERY FANCY and COOL video processing cards.  (I am
easily impressed)
A lot of external cd drives, some burners, some printers
A Sony camera and thingamajig.  Fancy as well
Tons of Apple ethernet dongles that make that useless port on the back of a
lot of our macs work with ethernet
Tons of power cables, mice, and keyboards
A SCSI floppy drive
Things that I am forgetting as I sit here at a friend's house in GA
A few things that confuse me
other stuff

scott

> >Regarding the 30 17" monitors, what is the status of these?  There has
> > been a sudden change of plans and we can make immediate use of the 17"
> > monitors at Mid-Pacific.

if there is any confusion lingering about these, or if I can help in any way,
I can be called for 5 more days at 912.313.7722