[luau] MSWindows

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Aug 1 18:28:00 PDT 2002

Jimen Ching wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, MonMotha wrote:
>
>>>Maybe this (necessity for use of CLI) is the state of the art, but you
>>>guys are talking as if we should be resigned to this situation, or even
>>>proud of it. I am not convinced.
>>
>>If the system's sitting at your desk or on your local lan where you can
>>export X displays to your heart's content without paying thousands of
>>dollars in bandwidth fees to money grubbing telcos, a nice GUI works
>>just fine.  However, when you've got a server living in a datacenter
>>habitat that's hundreds or even thousands of miles away from you and
>>you're paying for every bit you transmit, you'd better be sure you're
>>gunna be workign on it from the command line.  Any other method of
>>administration is simply uneconomical.
>

> Couldn't a graphical method of executing 'rm -rf' also allow accidental
> deletion?  An accident is an accident, no matter what tools you use.
> Mechanisms to prevent such accidents can be applied to CLI commands just
> as easily as to GUIs.

The solution is to never use -f when executing rm as root.  If you do,
make sure you aren't using it with -r also.  Only if you have really
checked over what's going to happen (replace -i with -f first) should
you ever consider typing rm -rf as root.

I know people who alias "rm -rf" to "echo 'Don't even think about it!'"
so that if they type that, they have to explicitly unalias it to make it
work.