[luau] MSWindows

T. David Burns burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Aug 1 12:01:01 PDT 2002

At 02:11 PM 7/27/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>  He had accidentally run, as root, rm -rf /lib/* on his colocated system,
> hundreds of miles away.  Restoring from backup was simply not an option
> as it would take days just to get there (as I recall he was in canada and
> the server was in florida).

Note that it was a command line command improperly used that trashed his
system in the first place.

Note that this is a highly unusual situation, in which it is *perhaps*
appropriate not to have reasonable backups available. In other words, the
cost of doing reasonable backups and having them available was considered
to be higher than taking a risk backed up only by highly expert
firefighters. This looks like a good choice in retrospect?

Maybe this (necessity for use of CLI) is the state of the art, but you guys
are talking as if we should be resigned to this situation, or even proud of
it. I am not convinced.

  Raving Dave