[luau] WineX rocks

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Sun Apr 28 02:15:12 PDT 2002

    While waiting for various lengthy disk and memory tests to finish on
a client's unruly PC, I decided to take Warren's advice and subscribe to
WineX rather than buy it shrink-wrapped.  I am rather amazed and excited
at the results.  Various Windoze software is rated on the Transgaming
<www.transgaming.com> site according to how well it runs on WineX.  I
snagged the demo of Diablo II, one of the few with a 5 out of 5 rating,
and gave it a fling.  It ran absolutely flawlessly.  I _did_ tinker with
the setup of WineX a bit, but no more than you have to with the regular
Wine, which I use to run GoldMine at work.  When you consider that this
runs under DirectX, the performance is truly worthy of accolades.  This
could really open up Linux to a lot of otherwise mesmerized evil-empire
serfs who see no way to free themselves of their micro$oft shackles.

    It's a bit odd that I have never played Diablo on its intended
platform, but now may buy it for exclusive execution under Linux.  This
kind of thing must make Monkey-boy Balmer utterly livid.

-Jeff