[luau] restricting directory access

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Sun Apr 28 01:11:04 PDT 2002

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Rodney Kanno wrote:
>The main reason for me allowing ssh access is transfer files (photo library,
>home video, linux, etc..)that are too large for email to friends/family.

SSH access seems to be overkill to me.

>It seems that the transfer rate for ssh is much faster than http or is
>that just my imagination?

Are you using scp/sftp or regular ftp with the ssh session?  FTP was
designed for block transfers.  So it is more efficient in transfering
large amounts of data, i.e. low overhead.  I would assume sftp has the
same advantage.  I don't know about scp.  HTTP probably has more overhead,
so it may be a little slower.  I don't know enough about HTTP to say
whether this overhead has a big impact on large file transfers.  It could
be the handshaking that makes the HTTP file transfers seem slow.  But that
is just a guess.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org