[luau] HDD-less Linux

Dean Fujioka surfdean at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Apr 26 21:11:34 PDT 2002

>Subject: Re: [luau] HDD-less Linux

> We could use your HDD-less Linux experience for R Scott Belford's cashier
> conversion from Win98 to Linux too.  I hope that they can use read-only
4MB
> IDE flash disks on each cashier in place of their hard drives.  Less
moving
> parts and heat generation, more reliable setup.  Each disk will need an
SSH
> client and simple LPD client and server.
>
> Scott and Dean, could you please provide details of how your Point of Sale
> system works?

Sure... what I know of it anyway.  Basically an ssh client that needs to be
able to print to multiple local ports, i.e. lp0, ttyS0, ttyS1.  I'm not sure
what kind of details you're looking for, though. The text that must be
printed is ASCII and can be sent to a filename with any path to it. The
contents of this file (and this is the magic part in counterpoint) can (and
does currently) contain data that is not overwritten, but is passed through
the file to a local file /device /port. This is the part I do not understand
that maybe you folks can.   I can post the file's contents here (or maybe R
Scott can), but not till Monday, because I don't have the escape sequences
memorized.
Any questions? 8)

dean
p.s. Sorry it took me so long to get back to the list... I've been off my
computer for a few days.