[luau] restricting directory access

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Apr 26 13:15:30 PDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Warren Togami wrote:
>> What can a user do with a shell account without access to outside of their
>> home directory?
>Plenty.  They can poke around the filesystem looking for local root
>exploits,

If they can't cd out of their home directory, unless the admin allowed
this user to install some tool that has a root exploit, I doubt this user
can do much.

> or they can use programs on the server (or upload their own) to
>use the server as an relay from which they can scan and attack other
>machines.

True, but _your_ server is safe.  ;-)  Seriously, if you are so uptight
that you are not willing to let a user cd out of their home directory, and
yet you allow them to upload anything they want?  This completely defeats
the purpose of the cd limitation.

>SSH also introduces new problems in that any user can tunnel to any other
>location on the Internet, making it look like it came from the SSH server
>itself.  This is a HUGE security risk because it is incredibly difficult to
>trace for the server administrator.  There are ways of stopping people from
>doing this with iptables, but they are fairly difficult to implement and I'm
>not exactly sure how to do it at the moment.

This assumes the admin found a way to prevent the user from cd'ing out of
the home directory, but then left ssh wide open for security holes.  How
ironic.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org