[luau] NEWS: Thailand Schools Benefit from Popular Linux Server

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Apr 26 02:44:07 PDT 2002

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6026&mode=thread&order=0

Interesting article about how a specially customized Thai language Linux
server distribution with a web based interface became a popular solution for
many Thai schools.  With many more international success stories like this,
just imagine the day when Open Source is outlawed in America by the CBDTPA:
America commits economic suicide because the rest of the world's tech
industry quickly surpasses American tech companies encumbered by the
unrealistic Federal approval requirement.  Meanwhile, Microsoft and Adobe
stop receiving revenue from overseas because most of them have switched to
localized Open Source and proprietary software, after they realized that
American software is too expensive and has too many restrictions on use.

"Since its introduction, Linux-SIS has been very popular in Thailand.
Project implementors say this has been due to its "excellent documentation
in the Thai language, its simple-to-install CD-ROM and web-based server
management" that allow one to manage it without the need to know any UNIX
commands. "SIS training courses are always in constant demand from schools
looking for a reliable internet server at the lowest cost," says Dr
Koanantakool, who is director of Bangkok's electronics and computing centre
NECTEC. (More info on the Linux-SIS at www.nectec.or.th/linux-sis/ "

"Initially we used Windows NT on a straightforward PC. Then we developed the
Linux schools internet server. We now have our own software, running
GNU/Linux, which is managed via the Web, using the Thai language. That
means, to run it the user hardly need to know anything of UNIX. This runs on
just a PC. Compared to it, we could not afford a Sun Microsystem box and
router for each school, for example," says Koanantakool

(continued in article)