[luau] A Mission For Luau

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Apr 26 02:23:19 PDT 2002

Just want to add my two cents.

I think this is a good idea too.  As for the concern for support.  If you
donate the computers to schools, you be amazed how fast students can
pickup knowledge about computers.  When I was attending Washington
Intermediate (yes, that was what it was called back then), they had two or
three commodore64s.  You can hardly do anything with them, but everyday, I
see students gathered around them doing a bunch of things.  And I did not
see any teachers around showing how to use those computers.

I don't know if a <200Mhz system can handle Gnome and/or KDE.  But once
you place a bunch of icons on the desktop, I think most students should be
able to learn the rest on their own.

Basically, what I am saying is that we shouldn't worry about students
having trouble using computers.  If I could find something to do with a
commodore64 15 years ago, I'm sure the students today can find something
to do with a Linux system.  Support should not be a big concern.  After
all, many high schools have computer clubs now.

--jc

P.S.  I've been known to install hardware on my computer system before.
So if you guys need an extra set of hands to help with refurbishing some
systems, just let me know.

Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org