[luau] HDD-less Linux

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Apr 25 22:29:37 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "MonMotha" <monmotha at indy.rr.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 7:13 PM
Subject: Re: [luau] HDD-less Linux

> 4MB is MUCH MUCH easier to work in than 1.44, especially if I can use a
> compressed RAMDISK (how much ram do these suckers have).  In 4MB, I
> could probably even squeeze in the tiny X server (for a "thin client"
> image).

It sounds like you have the expertise that Scott needs to make the point of
sale client disks very quickly.  Perhaps PriceBusters can pay you for the
customization job and showing Scott how to build it himself.  Scott? =)

> As for flash disks, I don't know what kind you're using, but I'm a fan
> of those little CF to IDE converters (that run the CF card in IDE compat
> mode), they're about $10 each at the place I've found (I'll have to find
> it again :) and you can just put a normal CF card on them.
>
> --MonMotha

I tried the IDE flash disks from here.  Works very well.
http://www.disklessworkstations.com/