[luau] A Mission For Luau

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Apr 25 20:49:19 PDT 2002

This is exactly my idea with Linux Thin clients for schools.  The potential
benefit far outweighs giving computers to individuals (that can come later).
Instead, hundreds and thousands of students will be using Linux every day,
and it will be far easier for us in the Linux community to support because
they are in few locations.

We have plenty of storage at Mid-Pacific, so I would suggest that we use the
school as a central location for refurbishing and deployment.

On campus, we are almost ready to deploy another 20 thin clients in
classrooms.  We have another thin client server ready for this purpose, but
we need to buy PCI network cards and monitors for the computers.  We could
use a more computers and parts too.

The next phase after this would be to identify another school that wants
this.  I think Kalani High School would be the next logical candidate
because they already have a large number of computer savvy students.  Once a
school wants Linux thin clients, we would need the following things in order
to make it happen:

* Volunteers for computer refurbishing, wiring and initial setup.
* Roughly $4,000 for a powerful server with backup drive, ethernet cable,
network cards, monitors, etc.
* Donated computers

But the most important part
* People familiar with the system to maintain and support, only a phone call
away.
* Free labor for support initially.  We need to prove the system works and
has value.  Only after that we should charge.

Anyone want to meet about this?  I can explain how all the pieces of it work
together so more people can be familiar with Linux Thin Clients, then we can
talk about strategies in promoting this and getting funds to deploy in
schools across the state.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com