[luau] A Mission For Luau

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Apr 25 20:07:00 PDT 2002

On Thursday, April 25, 2002, at 04:39 PM, Mark Kellman wrote:

> If, and that's a very big IF, this "project" became successful, and
> Linux became adopted by more business, and if more "local" users became
> Linux saavy, then Hawaii would really be able to position itself as a
> cost-effective location for companies looking to provide operations to
> their pacific rim subsidiaries/partners/customers.

Help me to make the "ifs" into whens.  I don't see any strategic
economic impact; I do see some people and organizations more connected
and empowered than they are now.  The ripple effects are questionable.

> A large supply of Linux saavy administrators coupled with additional
> technical training provided by the state through Oahu Work Links?
> Interesting, very interesting.
>
> Build the technical skills of current Hawaiian residents to attract new
> employers without having to import talent from the mainland?  Hmmm.
> You may be onto something indeed.
>
> There may be more funding from higher sources if a proposal were
> constructed and presented to those who control the purse strings.
> What's the benefit to the local economy and residents will be the
> questions.  Answer those, and you'll find money to fund this.  Just a
> suggestion IMHO.

No desire to find funding for this project.  Not the intent.  It
should/could exist absent of outside money or individual control.  Not
likely that it would have any large economic impact either.  These are
larger issues being addressed by our Government and SchooIs, somewhat.
I suggest it as way to combine resources and needs.  The needs of the
community and the resources of this our community.  Better linux
recognition on the island would be good for all of you.(us)

scott