[luau] iptables minimal install

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sun Apr 21 23:23:59 PDT 2002

K, an image of the bootdisk will follow shortly behind this in a private
email to you as an attachment.

Linux uses iptables (used to be ipchains, before that was ipfwadm,
before that was supposedly an early port of ipfw) as a standard in all
2.4 kernels.  All distros should be moving to iptables as they move to
2.4.x kernels (which they should be doing by now).  ipfw, which many
BSDs use, is a different userspace utility.  I'm not familiar with how
BSD's implement their packet filters, but in linux the filter itself is
kernel side, then iptables just tells the kernel what rules to set up.
There is no reason that one couldn't write a version of ipfw to
manipulate the linux 2.4 netfilter (though it has been designed around
an iptables type interface).

Why not learn both?  I can't see any reason why knowing both could hurt
you in any way.  iptables is what linux plans to use from now on, and I
don't seen *BSD changing any time soon from ipfw.

BTW, you could run my script on this little floppy, but it's not
included.  The root filesystem on the floppy is ramdisk based (so it can
be compressed), and as such isn't saved when the system is shut down.
To put my script on it you'll have to modify the root filesystem image
(/rootfs.gz on the disk) by decompressing it, mounting it loopback (it's
of type "minix"), modifying it, unmounting, recompressing, and putting
back on the floppy.  If you need instructions on how to do the above,
just ask; I'm sure many people on the LUAU list know how or if not, I
can provide more detailed instructions.

Remember this disk is still in early stages of development (I'll
eventually release it onto the internet once I get some form of remote
access on it) and as such it might have bugs (don't be surprised if some
things don't work right or segfault, or have linking errors, etc) and it
is a bit tedious to work with, though it has most utils you'd expect on
a basic console-only linux system, all crammed onto a floppy!

--MonMotha