[luau] Dazzle me with your C programming prowess

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Sat Apr 20 21:13:14 PDT 2002

This one's been stumping me for a while.
I'm trying to work with the IEEE1394 (firewire sounds nicer) libraries,
and I'm unable to compile any of the example programs.  E.g.,  when I
try  gcc  grab_partial_image.c  ,  I receive a long list of errors:

/tmp/ccWnmLby.o: In function `main':
/tmp/ccWnmLby.o(.text+0x21): undefined reference to `dc1394_create_handle'
/tmp/ccWnmLby.o(.text+0x5b): undefined reference to `raw1394_get_nodecount'
/tmp/ccWnmLby.o(.text+0x72): undefined reference to
`dc1394_get_camera_nodes'
/tmp/ccWnmLby.o(.text+0xb0): undefined reference to `raw1394_destroy_handle'
yada yada yada......

Of course, the pre-compiled version of the program runs fine - I have
all of the necessary modules loaded.  A very nice X11 app, coriander,
runs and captures smooth 30 fps video, using the same libraries, which
are libraw1394 and libdc1394, as included in the source:

#include <stdio.h>
#include </usr/src/linux-2.4.18-0.16/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.h>
#include </usr/local/include/libdc1394/dc1394_control.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <sys/times.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{

The various header files exist where they should, and I'm using kernel
2.4.18-16.
The *.so ,  *.so.0 files and friends have been correctly installed in
/usr/libs, and I even edited ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig to make sure
that they would be found.
Things work when I skip the linking phase with  gcc -c
grab_partial_image.c .   I am clearly missing something in the linking
phase of the process, and I know that one of you (perhaps you, Dean?)
can tell me what it is.

Thanks,
-Jeff