[luau] USB, CD-R questions

Rodney Kanno pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Apr 19 18:02:06 PDT 2002

> 2) Is there any practical limit for archival life of CD-R's? I was
> thinking of scanning some of my personal records and putting it on CD-R
> for reasons of space (copies of statements, bills, etc., for tax
> purposes and so forth). Are CD-R's and CD-RW's "good" forever once you
> get a good copy burned, or do they suffer from deterioration, and if
> so, after how long? I figure if I can count of 20+ years, I'm
> probably good to go, but I wonder if there is any info on that
> subject?

Depends on what brand you use. So far I have had one experience w/Comp USA
cd's (the ones without any markings)where I have lost information on the
disc after about 4- 6 months after burning. The other brands I have used so
far (Imation, TDK, Verbatim) have gave me no problems. I have noticed that
the cheap ones (name brands included)are labeled as "short strategy type" in
cdredcord, TDK cd's (well the ones I have anyway) are the only ones that are
labeled as "long strategy type" I don't know how accurate these labels are,
but i'm gonna find out at some point.

Rodney

--
Take Action! Oppose the CBDTPA!