[luau] USB, CD-R questions

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Fri Apr 19 13:31:49 PDT 2002

can they be daisy-chained to create additional hubs if

Yes, http://www.allusb.com/FAQ.html

>  any feedback as to good or bad brands would be
> appreciated.

I got a 4 port with an included A>A and A>B cable for just over $20 at Costco.  I image for something of this nature, any brand would do..

> 2) Is there any practical limit for archival life of CD-R's?

Depends on who you talk to.  I think the generally accepted life time is 100 years and somewhat less for the RW's.  You may want to read the CDR FAQ from
http://www.cdrfaq.org/  for a general synopsis, there is a wide difference of opinions on this.

> Oh, incidentally, anybody know if I have scanned copies of tax
> receipts and such if they would be laughed off in the even of an IRS
> audit or some such?

I scan just about every receipt and bill for keeping myself.  Another method I use for documents created or contained  in various PC applications is to print them to PDF and
save the resulting file.  Perfect for those tax programs that you don't want to keep installed just in case you need to print again, or to print an email receipt, web page etc..
Info for that is here http://www.ps2pdf.com/convert/convert.htm for online conversion, http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/bright.html for a Samba and Windows hack, or
simply use ps2pdf on your linux machine.

I've only had to recall a few of these so far and have not had an issue, it wasn't the IRS though.  IMHO, a copy is a copy.  You can alter a copy just as easily as you could
alter a scanned and printed document.