[luau] Whither Mandrake 8.2?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Apr 18 13:49:18 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Mings" <jeffm at lava.net>
To: "Luau the next generation" <LUAU at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 10:03 AM
Subject: [luau] Whither Mandrake 8.2?

> I just stopped by the Mandrake store, intending to buy 8.2 with the
> transgaming package, and I was surprised to find that it's not for sale
yet.
> I understand that 8.2 has been on our mirror for a while now.  I'd like to
> support Mandrake by buying a boxed copy, but I'm wondering what the
problem
> is with getting it to market???
>
> -Jeff

Do you want it specifically for the Sims, or only to financially support
Mandrake and Transgaming?  If it is the latter please consider joining
MandrakeClub and Transgaming instead.  A greater percentage of your money
(100%) goes directly to the respective companies rather than packaging and
shipping.  Both companies model is the 'Market Performer Protocol' where you
pay a small amount of cash every month as long as you believe in supporting
the company.

If you subscribe to MandrakeClub Silver membership ($120 for one year, $10 a
month) you get the same downloads as Bronze membership plus StarOffice 6.0
final edition.  I'm using StarOffice 6.0 final right now and I love it,
though I installed the RPM's in Red Hat because I'm not using Mandrake at
the moment.  If you don't need StarOffice you can instead download
OpenOffice and join Bronze membership for $60 a year.

If you join Transgaming membership, you get rights to vote on the direction
that their project should take and the ability to download their RPM built
with the CD copy protection patches needed to play many games.  They cannot
release those patches due to DMCA illegality. If you do join, please
reference me as the referrer. =)

I personally pay $10/month to Mandrake, $15/month to Red Hat, and $100/month
to Transgaming.  I feel that it is important to support the Linux companies
financially.  Transgaming in particular needs far more support from us
because their goal is so vital to the acceptance of Linux on future
desktops, and they have so few subscribers today.

I know I wont get this money back, but I see this as my investment in the
future.  Perhaps one day nobody will have to buy Windows anymore because the
clone (Wine + Mono + Linux) does it all.