[luau] NEWS: BOH is using freebsd

R Scott Belford sctinc at mac.com
Wed Apr 17 22:33:23 PDT 2002

In the process of emailing a few freebsd lists about mirror info., I
made contact with a freebsd user at BOH (bank of hawaii)  He is
successfully fighting the good fight of open source.  He gave me
permission to quote his summary of the managerial battle.  It is as
follows:

actually the most difficult thing was educating my management that this
freebsd
thingamajig was something that works much better than expensive
proprietary
software.  I mean, how can anything that is *free* be of value?  Doesn't
good
software cost millions of dollars per year in licensing and maintenance
fees?
NO.  IT DOESN'T.  Our management is so used to spending a fortune on
software
and the vendors all fight their way to the money like pigs feeding from
the trough.
teaching them to open their eyes and look around at the how the world
has been
changed by the emergence of the Open Source movement has been
interesting.
I've made alot of headway however, I got our external mail relays
changed from
misconfigured open relay NT boxes running Microsoft SMTP services to
solid
sendmail boxes which don't allow relaying and have numerous spam controls
and virus scanning in place.  I also replaced our aging Novell
BorderManager
Proxy servers which were running an ancient netware release and which
would
crash spontaneously with rock solid freebsd boxes running squid.
freebsd now
has a solid niche in our organization and my manager is now convinced
it's the best
os to use for network services due to my efforts :^).
--
     __
    /  )    _/_  It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data.