[luau] [Fwd: [buug] Funny how things have changed]

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Tue Apr 16 07:23:50 PDT 2002

I've been actively looking for a better job since October.  I have noticed some general trends for the Northern VA/DC area.

About 50% of the OS mentioned positions displayed as System or Network Administer/Analyst/Integrator etc... require a mix of MS, Novell, and MS.

For the mixes, they are normally small/med companies or department based with a NOC or headquarters somewhere else, the "Unix" mentioned is generic, I assume most
of these have a few *nix machines and are probably old commercial Unix still hanging on, or have replaced with Linux to fit the specific niche requirement they had.  In the
case of a NOC elsewhere, you would be an onsite warm body for thier *nix/network needs.

The other 50% of jobs seem to be split evenly between Unix or MS.  Novell does not seem to be used by itself and almost always coupled with a MS requirement but I have
seen a few Novell/Unix, I assume these are probably also a MS shop but the MS support is already there.

Most of the Unix only require commercial Unix (Solaris/HP etc..) but also mention Linux and are either housed in a large NOC or require >75% travel.   Most of the NOC's
require some type of night shift work, consisting of some installation but mostly monitoring, backups and upgrades (they are well established and relatively static).  The
traveling type are normally short/med length consulting or contract based for the government and are new installations or considerable upgrades.

More Unix only require Network experience also.  Mixed with Unix are interested in a jack-of-all-trades.  The MS only jobs generally stick with support of the OS,
applications and the user end.  Figuring Linux/Unix is not really used on the desktop, that makes sense.

My primary job search is from Americas Job bank
http://www.ajb.dni.us
DC zip code: 20005