[luau] Where's the Linuxconf* RPM in RH 7.3 Beta?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Apr 10 01:53:23 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 22:21, Wilson wrote:
> I just loaded Skipjack onto one of my workstations and cant seem to the
> Linuxconf* RPM. Does it even exist? If not then can I just use one from RH
> 7.2?  Thanks!
>
> Wilson

LinuxConf has a penchant towards completely freezing in certain common
circumstances where config files have been edited manually.  It is a
fairly old tool that parses those config files quite poorly.  As a
result Red Hat completely cut it loose from their next distribution.

Mandrake themselves are moving away from LinuxConf too.  That's why they
worked so hard on their DrakConf tools, that are TOTALLY awesome in
Mandrake 8.2.

Unfortunately, Red Hat's equivalent config tools are a bit crappy by
comparison to DrakConf.  You have limited config functionality in text
mode with "setup".  (You can't even configure multiple network cards or
a secondary DNS server.  That's crap.)

Red Hat has a bunch of new and somewhat buggy config tools that are GUI
only, poorly laid out and difficult to find.  Try "neat" in X to do more
advanced network configuration, and "redhat-config-users" for GUI user
editing.

If you are in KDE, in certain cases when you click buttons in GTK+
programs like Gimp or redhat-config-users it may appear that nothing
happened, but actually a new window popped UNDER the current window.
This is a known KDE window manager bug. =(