[luau] FTP login info / linuxconf-web ?

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Mon Apr 8 06:59:06 PDT 2002

On 7 Apr 2002 at 7:09, Rodney Kanno wrote:

> > Here's my list.  Can I get rid of the "linuxconf-web" ?  I don't think
> > I  use that, but then again, I'm not sure.
>
>  have you tried chkconfig --list? That's what I used to turn off xinetd.d
> services I don't use.
>
> Rodney

Sorry if this comes over twice..

xinetd is not directly related to init.d for starting and stopping
services.  Normally, things started from xinetd are not listed in the  chkconfig and visa-versa.  Services run from xinetd will not show up (ps -aux) and be running unless they
are currently being used.

When xinetd controls a process, it will start it on request, assuming all of the conditions are met in the xinetd.someprocess file, like
from what ip, what time it is, etc..
Chkconfig is used to control which services/deamons will be running
by default for different runlevels.  Using SMBD as an example (Samba).  SMBD when controlled through xinetd will not start running until it gets a valid request and xinetd
starts it.
When SMBD is run in daemon mode (started through init.d for various
runlevels via chkconfig), it is running all the time and access
controlled through the samba.conf.

Commenting out or removing a service in the xinetd.conf will not
effect services that are started from init.d (configurable via
chkconfig) and visa-versa.

You can run most services via xinetd or though the init.d process and  each has its own advantages and disadvantage.  Security or speed are what it usually boils down to.

I could be wrong here as I have not followed xinetd's/init.d's
progression for a few years.