[luau] LDAP Integration of Everything at Mid-Pacific Institute

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Apr 8 05:45:56 PDT 2002

I was about to buy SuSE eMail server III for $1,000 for an easy to
install LDAP based solution that does e-mail, web based LDAP user
administration, web based mail, groupware scheduling, etc, but I now
realize that PHPGroupware with the other available Open Source tools has
in most cases better features than their inflexible and semi-proprietary
solution.

As a result, I've decided to instead throw that $1,000 at local Linux
folks who can help to implement this.  I need this to be implemented
QUICKLY.  Below are the preliminary goals for this project:

1. OpenLDAP based server that contains the user schema that PAM, Samba
and PHPGroupware can authenticate upon.  Encrypted password between Unix
and Samba must be synchronized (two different cyphers).
2. OpenLDAP used for public and private address books.
3. Replicated backup of OpenLDAP server for redundancy protection.
4. Central storage for each account.  Two quotas if possible, one for
mail and one for file storage.  File storage must be the same between
Linux desktop, Samba, and Netatalk logins.
5. Web based interface like SuSE E-mail Server III's admin interface so
non-Unix people (Windows admins, Teachers) can easily manage the LDAP
users and groups.  Please try their online demo to see what it is like.
http://www.suse.com  I'd like for this to be written in PHP, but I could
be convinced otherwise.
6. SMTP server that can authenticate off of LDAP or PAM for roaming
(off-campus) user security.  Needs anti-virus and spam protection for
both incoming and outgoing mail.
7. IMAP server with user level configurable quotas.  Students get less
space, teachers get more space.
8. PHPGroupware setup mainly for group scheduling for school
administrative staff, but also optional IMAP web based mail client.
9. Samba domain controller, authenticating off of LDAP.
10. Netatalk appletalk file server, authenticating off of LDAP.
11. All of this Documented so we can easily recreate it later.

Most of these steps will be easy because the Open Source Software is
already written.  The hard parts will be in writing the web based LDAP
user administrator, Samba scripts and schema, overall integration and
securing this ugly beast.

I still need school approval of this plan, but I'm confident that I will
get it.  The main part that they want is the groupware scheduling, but
this LDAP based solution kills so MANY other birds with one stone.
Heck, it is a FLOCK OF BIRDS.

Please post ideas for now.

sleep time for me...