[luau] OS X - Really a Unix that will let me run Mac?

Rod Gammon AEG-Inc at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Apr 5 11:30:21 PST 2002

I've been seduced by the new power books, although the price is a big zit on
its nose...

Is this thing really the grail? A Mac desktop that can run postgres, allow
server testing, and so on?  According to a recent Linux Journal review, it
is.

Does anyone know:

1. What are big differences between Apple Public Source License and GPL?

APSL: http://www.opensource.apple.com/

2. To what extent are Darwin/OSX and, say, Red Hat Linux (substitute
favorite) compatible?  If I have a shell script, will it work in OS/X?  Is
porting required for source packages?  Would Kylix, Tomcat, or Postgres
work?

Darwin: http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html

Thanks-
rg