[luau] playing with email some more

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Apr 1 03:49:53 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Kennedy" <patrickjkennedy at hotmail.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 3:28 PM
Subject: [luau] playing with email some more

> $ fetchmail
> 1 message for user at domain.net at postoffice.worldnet.att.net (1175 octets)
> at
>      postoffice.worldnet.att.net (1175 octets).
> reading message 1 of 1 (1175 octets) fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost
> failed
> fetchmail: can't raise the listener; falling back to /usr/bin/procmail -d
> %T.
>      flushed.
>
> Notice that (a) it works! and (b) it falls back to procmail.

This is exactly how my home setup works.  This is optimal.

> Here's my question: why did the SMTP connection between ISP and localhost
> fail?

I'm not sure what you mean by SMTP in this context.  You shouldn't need SMTP
or sendmail at all for a fetchmail and personal POP3 server.

> Now, I know that fetchmail supports POP3, but the error here is SMTP.  And
> that interests me a lot, since my sendmail (or smail, etc) configurations
> don't work either.  When I type hostname, I get the hostname of my
machine,
> which I set in hosts with an IP of 127.0.0.1.  Would it help to
dynamically
> set this with a script of some sort?  Any example scripts?
>
> My PPP connection gets dynamic info from the ISP server, but the hostname
is
> not overridden.  So how can I bind the hostname to the PPP0 IP?  Would
that
> help with the localhost failure issue, or is another issue responible
here.

> Any comments or ideas welcome.  Thanks.  Patrick.
>

> /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
> Patrick Kennedy

I'm not sure what you mean by SMTP at all.  You should only need to connect
to your ISP's SMTP server when you are sending outgoing mail.  You don't
need your own SMTP server (sendmail).  sendmail can receive mail but you
would need a fixed domain name pointing to your box, and you would need to
edit sendmail config to allow incoming mail (refer to Red Hat
documentation).

Were you planning on making a personal mail server like what Ray or I run at
home?  You may consider using IMAP instead of POP3 if that is the case.
Much cleaner, and using POP3 locally kinda defeats the purpose of using
fetchmail in the first place.  IMAP storing all of your mail would make it
possible to use web based Squirrel Mail concurrently with your existing mail
clients.

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you want to do.

I need some sleep...