Kernel configuration question

Jesse Manibusan jessmani at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 18:40:12 PDT 2001

I am trying to recompile my kernel without having to use
"make config".

This is the ouput when I type make menuconfig:

rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
/bin/sh: gcc: command not found

>> Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
>>
>> You must have Ncurses installed in order
>> to use 'make menuconfig'

make[1]: *** [ncurses] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

Here is the output when I type make xconfig:

rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts kconfig.tk
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts'
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -c
-o tkparse.o tkparse.cmake[1]: gcc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [tkparse.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts'
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

How do I fix it so that both xconfig and menuconfig work?
Also, how does one recompile the kernel if you have the RPM
instead of the actual *.tar.gz file?  Is it easier than
doing the "make " stuff?