Mandrake 8.1 - The Sweetest Thing

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Sep 28 01:36:16 PDT 2001

Thanks, Warren.

Just a side note.  Most corporations can easily absorb the cost of
licensing fees (in the form of boxes) at the level charged by Mandrake.
 However, it is next to impossibility for a corporation to make a
donation, even to a non-profit organization (legally speaking, this is
something called "ultra vires"--a corporate officer has no power to give
money away unless authorized by its shareholders).  Since Mandrake is
not a non-profit organization, this makes it even more difficult.

Many in luau--or whatever we may want to call it--criticize the per-seat
licensing model by Caldera.  But if we consider the legal ramifications,
this (per-seat license for commercial use) is, unfortunately, the only
way for Linux companies to survive.  For system integrators, you can
typically charge a markup rate based on the cost of the product.  If you
are selling Mandrake distro based services, because the cost of the
product is zero, your markup, at least theoretically speaking, wil also
be zero.  Microsoft was able to achieve such a dominating position
partly because it has an army of well paid system integrators.

That said, you are providing an excellent service (to the LInux
community and to us) by giving out LM8.1 CDs and/or making available a
mirror site to "individual" users.