Itec OSSvsCSS debate in peril!

Ronald Willis ronal at aloha.com
Wed Sep 26 15:21:37 PDT 2001

Any CSS volunteers?

They keep dropping out! And I don't really want to promote the obvious. The
timing was great before, but with Windows XP hitting the streets, its not
fun anymore. We can discuss the benefits
of using OSS all we want, but only when the average consumer is ready, will
they be inclined to listen and take action. The booths should be flooded
with the support of this report and the other horror stories coming in about
XP.

Maybe America will also wake up and take notice to an IT mindset change as
they re-evaluate what is really important in their lives...

Any CSS volunteers?

Slash is covering the same report;

Ditch Microsoft IIS now, says Gartner
By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco

...But the Gartner Group has issued a remarkable advisory recommending - in
the strongest terms - that enterprises abandon their investments in
Microsoft's web server IIS (Internet Information Server). In the usually
cautious, diplomatic language of analyst reports, weighted as they are with
percentage probabilities, this is a blunt as they come: a kind of "flee
now - and don't wait around to collect your possessions" warning.

Nimda Worm Shows You Can't Always Patch Fast Enough

Nimda bundles several known exploits against Internet Information Server and
other Microsoft software. Enterprises with Web applications should start to
investigate less-vulnerable Web server products.

http://www3.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=101034