AbiWord 0.9.2

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Sep 25 15:02:29 PDT 2001

Since Word uses a proprietary format and Microsoft never releases its
spec (I never could understand why our government allows such a
proprietary format to become a standard), my experience is, no filter
does a satisfactory job.  For simple documents, the coversion is usually
OK.  But if your Word documents contain heavy formatting, such as
tables, headers/footers, text boxes, etc., then the conversion usually
fails.

Let me re-phrase my question, why do we allow our government to adopt a
such proprietary format to become a standard?