LUAU Site and List

gsublett at lava.net gsublett at lava.net
Sun Sep 23 22:07:17 PDT 2001

On 23-Sep-01 Warren Togami wrote:
> I will take care if it Sunday.  I will lessen the tone, consolidate all
> information on one page, and make larger links to the mailing list
> sign-up
> page.
>
> I will make it very apparent that LUAU is a common discussion and
> announcement place for "Hawaii Open Source, Unix and Linux".
>
> The way I see it, many of the local community are still turned off by
> the
> name LUAU by the crap that happened in the past.  Some of the Linux
> people
> even today refuse to join the mailing list only because of the name.
> Others
> in business hear the name and recall bad thoughts.  I used to think
> that we
> should give up on continuing to beat on a dead horse, but I don't
> necessarily share this view anymore.  We can overcome this stigma with
> education and positive community events.
>
> I also think we need another mailing list dedicated to announcements.
> Due
> to the bulk of the e-mail now on this list, I'm sure many people are
> missing
> the few and scattered announcements of meetings and events.  I will
> make
> another mailing list that anybody can post announcements, subject to
> approval by a moderator.  These messages should be infrequent enough to
> scoot around LUAU message filters and go into people's normal mail
> boxes.

[snip]

Warren,

I have previously suggested and I suggest again,  Please leave LUAU,
the LUAU site, and the LUAU mailing list alone.  Let them die as they
apparently should.  Your own statements concerning the bad vibes in some
circles support this.

I find it very puzzling that people were/are unwilling to pick up the
LUAU group and move forward accepting the baggage that comes with it, but
perfectly comfortable and happy to benefit from the pluses associated with
its active/well subscribed mailing list. I find it disingenuous at best.

For whatever reason, two new groups were formed and those associated with
the formation apparently felt support of LUAU was not desirable, fine I
understand individual choice along with some other concepts such as
consistency and integrity. What I don't understand is that a group of
people would continue to use a mailing list that carries the very name of
the group they don't want to be associated with.

Again, might I suggest establishing MPLUG and ALOHA mailing lists, or a
combined list, make several announcements on the LUAU list and then go
forward with each activity represented on its respective mailing list, or
at a minimum, have the LUAU list renamed after informing all current
subscribers so they can decide to remain subscribed or whatever.