ZDNet: KDE 2.2.1 rivals Windows

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 22 14:59:04 PDT 2001

Another major problem with MS Word (although the macro virus problem is
significant enough that everyone should avoid using it) is that it is a
very tricky program (b/c Microsoft has taken so many short cuts to make
this resource hog to appear to be easy to use) and most of its users
don't know how to properly use it.

For example, I often receive Word documents from various law firms.
 Some of them, especially solo practitioners or those from Taiwan/Japan,
use the "fast save" option of Word to save documents.  Because of the
concerns over Word macro viruses, we have learned a lesson never open an
Word document with MS Word (very ironic, isn't it?).  Rather, we use
WordPerfect to open Word documents.  WordPerfect has a reveal code
feature, and when a Word document is saved under the "fast save" option,
all the changes, in addition to the final document, will also show up
under the reveal code option.  Imagining you're telling your opposing
counsel all your secrets?  That's one of the perils of using Microsoft
products.