ZDNet: KDE 2.2.1 rivals Windows

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 22 12:00:43 PDT 2001

At the current version, Star Office is just not stable enough for
businesses that rely on documents production for a living (such as law
offices, etc).   OpenOffice is still in beta stage, but based on the
feature list, I doubt version 6.0 will be good enough for law offices.

There are 48 basic functions in WordPerfect, thus, theoretically, if one
can implement all these functions (which should not be too difficult),
we will have a solid wordprocessor for law offices.  However, "direct"
features alone are not enough.  One of the key elements of WordPerfect
and MS Word is their macro capabilities. This is one of the major
weaknesses of Linux office suites (though I am sure this should improve
with time).  Of course, the infamous macro virus in MS Office is causing
another type of problem.  This leaves WordPerfect almost the only choice
for law offices if they care about security.

I am the technical editor for the book "WordPerfect for Linux Bible",
and chaired an ABA interest group to study the use of Linux by lawyers.
 I believe I know what I am talking about.  At the present time, one of
our focuses is to convince Corel executives to put more effort on
WordPerfect/Linux.  However, before the market for Linux improves (does
anyone know when that's going to happen?), they are not going to do
anything about it.  Another focus is to try to convince OO developers to
add features that are critical to attorneys.  This effort also seems to
be going nowhere.

That said, I still believe most businesses will be very happy with
either StarOffice or KOffice.