Red Hat shell scripting problem

Jeffrey Wong jmwong at hoku.net
Mon Sep 10 11:57:43 PDT 2001

Thats odd, I just tried it on a couple of different linux distros and
found the same thing.  It works like you under (t)csh but not under bash.
On the other hand, when I tried it on Solaris I get the opposite.  It
works under sh, but not under (t)csh.  I'd guess it depends on the
particular platform/shell combination. One quick work around for it is the
most echo commands use the '-n' switch as suppress newline, but YMMV

Jeff