Red Hat shell scripting problem

Duane staddend001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Sep 9 23:39:45 PDT 2001

I have been looking around for info on this and figured I'd see what you guys
say.  I am running Red Hat 7.1  with my default shell as bash.  When I run a
script with the \c (to suppress carriage return) , \n (carriage return) or
any other \ options, it doesn't work.  I just get the the \c (or whatever)
echoed to the screen.  I tried it as root with the same result.  If I run it
on BSD or Solaris it works fine.  I couldn't find anything at redhat.com.
Has anyone else experienced this?  I thought it might be an enviornment
setting, but after playing around, I've changed my mind.  Any help would be
great.  All my scripts look silly right now.

--
Duane Stadden
staddend001 at hawaii.rr.com