BSD License????

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Sep 9 15:16:53 PDT 2001

You still haven't asked the right question, Dusty.  :-)

If you just want to port a BSD-licensed program to Linux, the answer is
very obvious, you can do anything/everything you want.

OTOH, if you want to re-license your Linux-ported BSD-licensed program
under GPL, then I believe Warren and/or Jimen have answered your
question--It depends on which BSD license you are dealing with.

If the BSD license is pre-1999, then because it contains a advertisement
clause, which is imcompatible with GPL, you can't do it.

If it is post-1999, which does not contain the advertisement clause,
then you can legally port it to GPL.

HTH.