BSD License????

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Sep 8 19:33:31 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jimen Ching" <jching at flex.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2001 4:12 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: BSD License????

> On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> >And based on what Dusty wrote, he is only interested in porting PF into
> >Linux.  As long as he does not "publicly" distribute it, there cannot be
any
> >GPL violation because he has not come to that bridge.
>
> I have not heard of anyone who worked on free software with the explicit
> intent of NOT re-distributing it.  What would be the point?
>
> --jc
> --
> Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org

One of the provisions of OSI approved licensing is that you are allowed to
modify software and not release changes, only if it is for personal use or
use within the organization.  If you are under a license like the GPL, if
you release any of these changes in the form of binaries, you are then
required to also release source code if asked.

But yes, it would take hundreds of coding hours to make such changes, and
all that would be wasted if it was done not to be distributed and shared for
others.  This is one of the drawbacks of incompatible open source licensing,
differing in the definition of "Free".