Stock Market...

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 8 18:38:57 PDT 2001

I have heard a lot of good things about Windows XP; however, we may begin to
see cracks in Windows just when it finally becomes stable.  This is an ironic
but true aspect of human nature.  Remember when WinCE was a lousy junk it was
considered to have so much potential?  Now WinCE has ridded essentially all
its kinks, but who cares about it any more?  Ditto its big brothers.

OTOH, with Win2K, which is the system I am running, my experience is that you
almost have to upgrade every application software.  Cost of upgrades is a
major concern. But more importantly, there are a lot of legacy software
programs which either don't have upgrade versions, or their upgrades simply
suck.  I expect the same to be true for Windows XP.

Another problem with Windows XP is that it has become a massive and almost
unmanageable slob,  and is extremely inflexible.  What we need is a
transparent, appliance type OS for our desktops.  Windows XP, though as good
as it has appeared, may not be the right system.

Finally, yes, it is not very easy to configure a commercial Linux server.
But who says that you can simply grab a "free" software and build your own
trouble-free server to run your business all by yourself without the need to
learn the product or pay a consultant?  You get what you pay for, whether you
are running Linux or other proprietary OS like Windows.