Hosting and DNS services

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Sep 7 01:06:33 PDT 2001

I called about 7 places around town about 2 years ago looking for
co-location services.  I was looking specifically for extremely high
bandwidth at an affordable price, and none of them fit the bill.  I ended up
putting a server in a co-location place near the east coast, with my friend
there taking care of the hardware and me taking care of the Linux software.
http://www.amdmb.com

For my personal domain I ended up buying a "virtual host" account at
Communitech.Net, and I have to admit it was a very good deal.   Very awesome
reliability, SSH access, 300MB of web space, plenty of bandwidth, 50 POP
mail boxes, e-mail redirectors, e-mail autoresponders, virtual domains, and
a very useful "control panel" to administrate most of the things I need...
all for only $25 a month.  (Well, I think it may be $30 a month now, but
when you sign up your monthly price will never go higher.)

However, BE WARNED about Communitech.  If you do one thing to piss them off
they'll pull your plug without warning or explanation.  I had a very bad
experience with them while I was working at Final Fantasy Online
http://www.ffonline.com and they pulled our plug for the lamest reason.
After they refused to reinstate our account, thousands of angry site
visitors bombed them with angry e-mail and DDoS attacks for over a month
(which didn't make a dent in their services, because they are too strong and
well maintained.)  Search Slashdot for Communitech and you'll find several
other "Buyer beware" stories.

On the plus side, I don't think I have an e-mail quota because I once
received a 50MB attachment without problem, but you would probably be banned
quickly if you abuse it.