keeping some pcs off the net

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Sep 6 21:13:58 PDT 2001

I agree with everything said here, except "no one can seem to use it
properly with out this Montha script".  This is not entirely accurate.
There are many scripts out there commonly used, some even better than
MonMotha's iptables script.

Just to name a few...
http://freshmeat.net/projects/agt/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/alfandega/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/dynfw/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/easytables/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/endoshield/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/fbuilderplus/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/ferm/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/fwbuilder/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/iptablesfwscript/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/rc.firewall.iptables/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/iptables-tutorial/

http://freshmeat.net/projects/joseph/
This one in particular looks interesting, although it is in early
development  "A netfilter configuration tool which parses English-like
config files."

http://freshmeat.net/projects/knetfilter/
This too.  Check out the screenshot.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/levy/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/narc/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/pcxfirewall/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/scipfire/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/iptablesscript/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/shorewall/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/startupserver/ (check out the screen shot)
http://freshmeat.net/projects/tuxas-firewall/

What does this mean?  This means you have lots of to choose from, and the
better scripts have thousands of testers and hundreds of developers to be
sure that they are secure and at the same time featureful.

I personally like MonMotha's script because it is simple to setup, and has
all the features that I need.  A few times it didn't have a feature that I
needed (like Starcraft connection tracking) so I wrote it, and the author
will soon incorporate it as an option.  In the mean time people can download
my Starcraft add-on script from MPLUG.

Almost every week other developers send him new features in this fashion to
add to the script.  If they are "obviously correct" they are added to the
latest beta version.  Sometimes they cause subtle conflicts or problems, and
these are reported and fixed quickly.  When they go several weeks without
any complaints, then the resulting script is considered "stable" and posted
to the MonMotha mirrors (one is MPLUG).  This kind of process means that
people can use featureful and well tested scripts.