ITEC Booth Shifts

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Sep 4 10:55:54 PDT 2001

http://www.mplug.org/phpwiki/index.php?ITEC2001Planning
Deven, please take a look at our notes and work me and Ho'ala in the
presentation setup.  While you were gone we planned what we felt should go
into the booth, but we need your input should anything else be ready for
that time.

My demo setup will be Linux thin clients completely without multimedia.  I
would be fine to run the following applications of yours:
CodeWeaver's CrossOver Plugin
KDE 2.2.1
Mozilla
Developing applications with KDevelop

Ho'ala's demonstration is entirely Samba PDC.  (TNG is too cutting edge and
unreliable at the moment, especially after the fork and the fact that
Samba-HEAD has most of the necessary PDC features by itself.)  Along with
the Samba PDC, we will need a Windows client or two to demonstrate logging
into the Samba domain.

Currently in the plan is the Linux install proposed by a few people at the
meeting.  I disagreed that it would be an effective use of time and space,
but it was inserted into the plan.  However, nobody stepped forward to
actually do that task in all shifts, and none of us would be using our time
effectively in doing so when we could be demonstrating the more technically
advanced pieces and answering dozens of questions in the time needed for one
install.  (To the group: If you disagree, then SPEAK UP and volunteer to do
the task. Nobody did.)  I propose that we nix the Linux installation demo,
and instead use Deven's dual-head multimedia/programming display which will
be there the entire show to explain.  It would cover the rest of the items
in his list below.

I'm also borrowing a Linux laptop from my friend Mary for the purpose of
using wireless Internet with either Charles' PCMCIA cellular modem, or
possibly 802.11b from Hurricane Internet ($70 for two days).  It would do
Netfilter NAT for the rest of the booth machines, along with Squid that
would seriously make web browsing "tolerable" even on the slow cellular
modem.  However, if Jay's company can pull of the ITEC deal then 802.11 can
be done for very cheap.  Jay, you there?