Paths

joel jijoel at lava.net
Mon Sep 3 12:21:37 PDT 2001

Heh... I should've forseen that one ;-)

Yes. Setting any variable on the command line will only work for the terminal
you are currently in. It lets you test changes, figure out how to configure
stuff, and so on. To make a permanent change, something that will
automatically be done every time you log on, get a new terminal, or whatever,
just put the line at the end of your ~/.bashrc file.

So, for instance, if you're running X and KDE, you'd get to a terminal window
and type:

kwrite ~/.bashrc

and at the bottom of the .bashrc file, you'd enter the change:

PATH=$PATH:/home/rodney/bin/

Save it, close it, you're set!

--Joel