RH 7.2 Install question -- mounting cdrom

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Oct 31 23:29:03 PST 2001

Aloha and Happy Halloween,

	I have just installed RH 7.2 on a box that I am turning into a router.
For some reason the cdrom won't mount (I want to have access to some
linux documentation files while building the  router...)  The mount
process errors out with the following messages:
[root at router dev]# mount /dev/cdrom
mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

[root at router dev]# ls -la /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Oct 31 20:21 /dev/cdrom ->
/dev/hdc

[root at router dev]# ls -la /dev/hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     root      22,   0 Aug 30 10:30 /dev/hdc

[root at router dev]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
mount: /dev/hdc is not a valid block device

*********

My /etc/fstab file looks like this:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1
1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1
2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0
0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1
2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0
0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0
0
LABEL=/tmp              /tmp                    ext3    defaults        1
2
LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults        1
2
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1
2
/dev/hda7               swap                    swap    defaults        0
0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
*********

	OK, I'm stumped now.  I have tried to mount /dev/hdb also and have not
had any "luck." Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mahalos in advance,
Ben