perl packages

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Oct 31 03:36:30 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Hagen" <ehagen at hawaii.edu>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 1:23 AM
Subject: [luau] Re: perl packages

> Have you tried CPAN?
> http://www.cpan.com/
> http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/README.html
>
> To be honest, if it's perl and not on CPAN, you don't want it.
>
> Eric Hagen                  "Sometimes we get lost in the darkness,
> ehagen at Hawaii.Edu      the dreamers learn to steer by the stars..."
>     "You fight for something because it is good.
> Not because it stands to succeed."
>
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Rodney Kanno wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me where I get  the following packages:
> >
> > Gnome-perl
> > perl-MIME-tools
> >
> > I have looked at rpmfind.net, freshrpms.net, freshmeat.net, gnome.org,
> > sourceforge.net all with no luck whatsoever. I'm trying to install a
> > program called gmmusic which needs these packages to run correctly.

If they are RPM package name dependencies, then installing perl modules with
CPAN will not satify the dependency.  You should be able to --force
or --nodeps the RPM installation after getting the appropriate perl modules
with CPAN however.... I must warn that this is the exact type of situation
where the RPM system breaks down.  Many pieces of your perl installation
will be broken by a forced overwrite by CPAN.

In the past I've went as far as ripping out the Red Hat perl RPM packages
and installing all Mandrake perl packages in order to get certain perl
modules on my system without using CPAN.  Well... this will only work in
your case if the Mandrake perl packages have the modules that you need.  I
don't know if they do.

Are you currently running Red Hat or Mandrake?