Advocacy on public television

joel jijoel at lava.net
Mon Oct 29 18:38:37 PST 2001

Hey, there!

I've been taking a couple of classes at Olelo, so that I can start doing
some some introductory tutorials and advocacy for Free Software on local
television. You all probably know that the Olelo channels (cable channels
52-56) are available for anyone on Oahu who has something they want to
broadcast. Olelo will show almost anything non-commercial, and has all sorts
of free stuff to help people make their own shows (though some training is
required to use it).

I just finished the producer class; this class makes it possible for me to
check out cameras and lighting, reserve edit bays, and so on. The one final
step before getting certified as a producer is a short first project. I have
written a short script, but there is one little piece I'm having a tricky
time with, and I was hoping someone could give me some pointers:

-------------------------------

Do you use a computer?

What do you do with it?

Do you write reports or presentations?

Maybe get on-line? Surf the web, use e-mail, or chat with other people?

Do you play games, or watch videos? Or maybe listen to CDs or MP3s?

There are Free Software programs to help you do all of that, plus a whole lot
more.

Thousands of programmers, world-wide, have come together to write some of the
best software ever made, and they're giving it away to anyone who wants it.

Visit <nice, newbie-based intro of Linux/Open Source/Free Software> for more
information.

'cause some of the best things are free.

I have spent the last couple of days trying to figure out a nice,
non-commercial, newbie-friendly site that explains *what* open source is all
about, how to get it, the basics of using it, and so on. Does anyone have any
ideas?

Also, any comments on the rest of the script?

--Joel