mysql setup trouble

Linux Robot linuxrobot at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 27 05:43:36 PDT 2001

I've run into some trouble trying to run mysql on RedHat 7.1.  I selected
the packages on install, but when I try to start up the server, the log
reports that it can't find a "host.cnf" file or something like that.  I've
run mysql_install_db and I've seen a file with the matching name, but it
still complains that the file doesn't exist.  I tried playing around with
the paths a bit to no avail.
So I uninstalled the packages and tried to complile a source myself only to
find that it seems I don't have the proper libraries or something (I can't
get configure to create a Makefile).
So I started downloading RedHat 7.2...
If anyone recognizes this problem and has a simple fix then that would be
great, otherwise I'll just keep trying...

Thanks,
LR