Sony to release Linux Playstation 2 in U.S.

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Oct 24 03:05:29 PDT 2001

Sony to release Linux Playstation 2 in U.S.
http://www.linuxworld.com/ic_717468_6995_1-3133.html

SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc will launch a
Linux-enabled version of its PlayStation 2 in the U.S. market, an executive
from the company said Monday.  In the opening keynote at the Rambus
Developer Forum here, Shin'ichi Okamoto, senior vice president and chief
technical officer said that although he couldn't provide a U.S. release date
yet, "we'll be able to announce it soon."
A kit allowing the PlayStation 2 to run Linux was announced for the Japanese
market in May, with a launch scheduled for June. At that time, company
executives had not solidified plans for a U.S. launch of the kit. [See "Sony
bows to pressure, unveils Linux for PS2,
http://www.idg.net/idgns/2001/05/07/SonyBowsToPressureUnveilsLinux.shtml"
May 7.]
(continued in article)
http://www.linuxworld.com/ic_717468_6995_1-3133.html

My commentary:
While Playstation 2 Linux is good, Rambus is an evil company that we should
be boycotting (along with Disney).  Rambus attempted deceit during the JEDEC
standardization process that created PC100 RAM, participating in the
standardization while filing patents that cover the technology used.  Later
they threatened to sue everyone if they didn't pay royalties.  Their battle
with Infineon of Germany was thrown out of court.  Crucial's court battle
with Rambus is still pending, but Rambus has no chance of winning.

Not to mention Intel's big mistake of attempting to shove crap RDRAM
technology into consumer's throats.  It backfired big time, further opening
the window for AMD to threaten Intel.  This is good for us consumers,
because this means no more Intel monopoly, spurred competition leading to
lower prices and better products.

Read this for background information about how Intel made a BIG mistake by
going with Rambus.
http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2001/september/010928_Guest_Opinion_Dec
onstruction_Falling_Star/010928_Guest_Opinion_Deconstruction_Falling_Sta.htm

In any event, please do not buy Rambus products.  This includes any RDRAM
for Intel based platforms (AMD platforms do not use RDRAM).  Unfortunately,
Playstation 2 uses RDRAM.  Needless to say, I'd rather people buy
Playstation 2 and Gamecubes than X-Boxes.