German Parliament Considers Linux

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Oct 20 01:54:34 PDT 2001

German Parliament Considers Linux
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/16/1525231&mode=thread

News Blurb from Slashdot:
"The committee is examining http://idg.net/ic_712902_1794_9-10000.html
whether switching the Bundestag's more than 5,000 computers to open source
would improve stability and security, as well as save money, Schroer said.
By the committee's estimate, implementing open source software throughout
the federal government could result in savings of 250 million marks (US$116
million)."

My Commentary:
European governments are taking a good serious look at Linux and open source
software for several important reasons.  Many of them are tired of paying
billions of dollars to American companies, especially Microsoft, who use
abusive monopolistic practices that destroy any chance of competition from
companies within their own countries.  It has been a constant money funnel
into American computer and software companies due to these monopolies.
Instead of paying billions of dollars to an American company, they plan on
hiring software developers within their own country to improve the quality
of competing Open Source software, thus stimulating their own local economy.
The $25 billion dollars that the European Union may fine Microsoft for
deceit and anti-trust violations may also boost their own internal software
development.

Also with the recent exposure of the US Government's Echelon network, a wide
ranging spy network that monitors all international communications in the
name of "National Security", many European governments are wary that
American software products may contain NSA backdoors through which American
interests can spy on their activities.  There supposedly has been an
instance in the past where a French business deal was spoiled by an American
company, who came in and undercut their foreign competitor after they were
hinted by American spies through the Echelon network.  I don't know if this
story was true, but this is a very real possibility of American spyware
within European businesses.  The Chinese government is pushing hard for
Linux development for this same reason, to remove their reliance on American
software that they cannot trust.

I feel proud that I'm an American, but I do see some brokenness in all this.
Corporate America gets away with too much in the name of greed... but is
this what makes America strong?

At least we aren't living in an opressive dictatorship or Communist country.
I would be killed or jailed by now for questioning corporate and government
policies.  Thank goodness for Freedom in America.