Motherboard favorites for Linux?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Oct 10 23:21:27 PDT 2001

I have had extensive experience with many Athlon motherboards that we have
tested for AMDMB.com, especially with respects to Linuxc compatibility.
I'll post my recommendations later tonight.

Regarding onboard RAID, you may be thankful that you didn't spend extra
money for onboard RAID.  The Promise and HPT ATA RAID controllers are very
poorly supported by Linux.  While both vendors have binary-only drivers for
Red Hat 7.1, they are only for the default 2.4.2-2 kernel (and not the
update 2.4.3-x).  They are also poorly coded and very problematic with bugs.
Forget about getting any other distro running on Promise or HPT RAID with
the vendor binary-only driver unless you do some hacking and use the buggy
Red Hat 2.4.2-2 kernel.

Red Hat has been working on an open-source implementation of both Promise
and HPT RAID drivers with some success.  They currently have RAID 0 working
with most of these controllers.  For the most part it is stable, but not
entirely.  RAID 1 is in preliminary development.  It boots mostly stable,
but I don't think it can handle faults or rebuild a mirror disk yet.

Download source code here:
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/pdcraid/

Red Hat ATA RAID kernel driver development mailing list
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/ataraid-list