Server platform comparison

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Oct 10 02:53:16 PDT 2001

REPOST...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Russo" <brusso at phys.hawaii.edu>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 11:27 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: Server platform comparison

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 10:51:41PM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> > Disks - At least Linux software RAID 1, mirroring two hard drives for
> > redundancy.
> >

> You need backup of a sort, tape or burning CD's.
>
> You can get an IDE raid card from 3ware, about $150 iirc.
> Never used them, heard nifty things though, it presents the array as
> a SCSI device to the OS.

Yes, 3Ware Escalade ATA RAID controllers are EXCELLENT and very competitive
to SCSI RAID.  Unfortunately, 3Ware inexplicably decided to stop producing
the product despite it being profitable.  They will stop shipments on
December 31st of this year.  Read about it here.

http://www.3ware.com/Products/EscaladeLetter.asp?Title=Product&subTitle=3&Im
ageNumber=2

On the bright side, they lowered their prices on their Escalade 6000 series
models.  Might be a very good buy at the moment, as I don't see any other
competing hardware on the market at such a high quality for ATA RAID.
(Promise and High Point Tech ATA RAID *really* sucks, and they have poor
support for Linux too.)

http://www.3ware.com/Products/Escalade6k.asp?Title=Product&subTitle=361&Imag
eNumber=2