Simple switch question

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Tue Oct 9 13:36:33 PDT 2001

    I am considering a project in which it will be desirable to supply a
fully switched fast ethernet connection to a number of users that might
grow from 15 to 80 or so (as an example).  Since switches operate at the
bottom layer of the OSI networking model and "learn" which hardware MAC
addresses are at each port, would the best "aggregation" of switches be
to link several together through a single switch, as in the attached
jpeg?  I could buy a truly stackable switch like the 3COM superstack 24,
but they are EXPENSIVE.  I'd rather start with a Linksys EtherFast 16
and add more as needed.  Any problems or real performance penalties with
doing things this way?

Thanks,
Jeff Mings

[stacked switches]